Monday, August 18, 2014

Straight A's







Movie Title--  Straight A's

Release Year--  2013

Running Time--  1 Hour and 31 Minutes

Director--  James Cox

Cast--  Anna Paquin, Ryan Phillippe, Luke Wilson, Riley Thomas Stewart, Ursula Parker, Powers Boothe

After being visited by his mother's ghost, Scott Henderson packs his things and goes to make amends with his brother and father.




Scott Henderson (Ryan Phillippe) has been in and out of rehab and hospitals for eight months when he sees his mother's ghost while having a cup of coffee and is instructed to return home and make amends with the family he has abandoned.  He arrives at his brother's house only to find that William (Luke Wilson) is out of town and won't be returning until later in the week.  William's wife Kathrine (Anna Paquin) is Scott's first love and as the days pass, she is having difficulties with Scott being around.  Scott tries to reconcile with his father George (Powers Boothe) and has no luck.  

Once William returns home, it looks like the effort that Scott has put forth has been wasted but when a tragedy strikes at dinner, the family comes together to learn to forgive and love again.




I honestly wasn't very sure if I was going to like this film or not but after viewing it, I can say that I did enjoy it very much.  It is classified as a "Romantic Comedy" but although it is amusing, I wouldn't consider it a comedy and since there isn't that much romance in it either, I wouldn't consider it a romance.  I think that this film is more of an inspirational film.  Scott is a man who abandoned his family, only to return home to see what he missed out on; his first love has married his brother and they have two children together and his father has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember who he is.  It makes you take a step back and look at your own life and the decisions you have made to get you at the point you are currently at.

Ryan Phillippe is great in this film; his charater is very charming in a childish and rough around the edges kind of way.  The connection he has with the children in this film is just great and an actual joy to watch.  I also liked the role Anna Paquin plays.  She isn't my most favorite actress but I really enjoyed her role in this film.  I will say that the last twenty minutes or so of this movie is just heartbreaking in my eyes.  I think this one is a pretty good bet with just about any kind of audience.  You may want to have a tissue handy, just in case the ending plucks your heartstrings a little and Don't Forget the Popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment