Sunday, August 24, 2014

Disconnect






Movie Title--  Disconnect

Release Year--  2012

Running Time--  1 Hour and 55 Minutes

Director--  Henry Alex Rubin

Cast--  Jason Bateman, Alexander Skarsgard, Max Thieriot, Paula Patton, Andrea Riseborough, Hope Davis, Frank Grillo, Colin Ford, Jonah Bobo, Haley Ramm, Aviad Bersnstein

Three different stories centered around the negative effect of social networking .




This tells there different stories; one revolves around a couple that have lost a baby and have lost their connection with each other, one uses online gambling as an escape and the other uses a grief chat room.  The next is the story of a reporter that reports on an underage sex ring and the third is a boy that has no friends and two boys bully him by pretending to be a girl on a social networking site.  These three stories are not shown consecutively but weaved in and out of the other stories, with at least one person in each story connecting the other two stories together.




Typically, I don't like these kinds of films but I must say I liked this one.  I won't lie, I found the beginning of the film really difficult to watch and I think that is because I could see where one of the three stories was going to lead, but once I got about 25 minutes in I found myself completely drawn in.  

I thought that the story for this film was very strong, which I think needs to be important when a film has more than one plot line going.  It was very well acted, which also helps when there seems to be a lot going on through a film.  

It really makes you step back and look at social networking.  Everyday one of these scenarios or something similar happens but since it never happens to us, we never think about it or it's effects.  It helps serve as a warning to be careful what we are doing on the internet and to watch how much personal information we are putting out there about ourselves.

Honestly, I feel like if you liked the film "Crash" from 2004, there is a very good chance you will like this film.  If you have trouble following a plot this film will not be a very good one for you to view, especially since it jumps back and forth from each story.  If you are looking for a deep and even emotional look at how some people deal with some situations, this one will be just right for you.  

This film concludes our "True Blood" theme week.  I hope I helped you view something that you wouldn't have normally considered viewing.  If you plan on watching the "True Blood" series finale tonight, Don't Forget the Popcorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment