Thursday, March 2, 2017

Alice Through the Looking Glass






Movie Title-- Alice Through the Looking Glass

Release Year-- 2016

Running Time-- 1 Hour and 53 Minutes

Director-- James Bobin

Cast-- Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron-Cohen, Rhys Ifans, Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Matt Lucas, Lindsay Duncan, Leo Bill, Geraldine James, Joanna Bobin, Ed Speleers, Barbara Windsor, Paul Whitehouse, Matt Vogel

After finding a magical looking glass, Alice once again returns to Underland to save her friend the Mad Hatter before his time runs out.





After spending three years following in her father's footsteps, Alice Kingsleigh (Wasikowska) returns home to London following an expedition to China. Upon arriving home, she learns that her ex-fiance, the now “Lord” Hamish Ascot (Bill), has taken over her father's company and is set on forcing her to sell him her father's ship in exchange for her mother's home.

Angered that she has to make this decision, she goes out to the garden where she finds Absolem (Rickman), her butterfly friend from Underland and follows him through the house to a room containing a large mirror over the hearth. Absolem flys into the mirror and disappears, followed soon after by a curious Alice. Once arriving, she is met by Mirana the White Queen (Hathaway), the White Rabbit (Sheen), Bayard (Spall), the Dormouse (Windsor), the Cheshire Cat (Fry), the March Hare (Whitehouse) and the Tweedles (Lucas) and they deliver some grave news; the Mad Hatter (Depp) was acting madder than ever. It is then explained that the Hatter is in poor health after believing that his family is still alive after the Attack of the Jabberwocky, stirring up some troubled emotions for the Hatter.




After seeing the Hatter, Mirana tells Alice that she must go see Time (Baron-Cohen) to convince him to help save the Hatter. Mirana then tells Alice that she believes that Alice is the only one that can complete this task and sends her to Time's castle but not before giving her a warning; if her past self sees her future self the past, present and future will be destroyed.

Alice asks Time to please turn back time to save her friend and Time tells her that the past is unchangeable and the only thing she should do is learn from it, then sends her away. As she turns to leave, she discovers Iracebeth the Red Queen (Bonham-Carter), causing Alice to ignore Time's warning, steal his chronosphere and set off to save her friend.





So....what to say about this film? I am going to start with Mia Wasikowska. I never really thought much of her as an actress, I mean I didn't think she was bad, I just didn't really have much of an opinion about her but due to this film and a few others that I have seen recently (that I have plans to post in the coming weeks) I think she is a really strong actress. She tends to take on whatever character she plays pretty well and Alice is no exception. She is quirky enough to lose herself in the Tim Burton universe and fit nicely. Sasha Baron-Cohen is another actor in this film I liked. Not really sure what was up with the German accent but he did well I thought.

Can I please just address Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter? I HATE him. I hate him with a passion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Johnny Depp, I have for a long time but I think his Mad Hatter is horrible. He reminds me of a big old queen with all the makeup and craziness going on with his hair. I didn't particularly like the Mad Hatter in the first Alice in Wonderland film but I really don't like him in this one.

I will say that to hear Alan Rickman's voice as Absolem did make me a little sad. I always thought Rickman was a hell of an actor and to be reminded of his loss is bittersweet.



All in all, this movie was only ok. I say, if you are a Tim Burton or Johnny Depp fan (or any other of the talented actors/actresses in this film) watch it just to say that you saw it. I honestly will probably never see this film again, to see it once was enough for me. Use your own judgment with this one and Don't Forget the Popcorn!











No comments:

Post a Comment