Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Know that Voice






Movie Title--  I Know that Voice

Release Year--  2013

Running Time--  1 Hour and 30 Minutes

Director--  Lawrence Shapiro

Cast--  John DiMaggio, Kevin Conroy, Jim Cummings, Corey Burton, Gregg Berger, Dierich Bader, Jason Marsden, Mark Hamil, Billy West, Nancy Cartwright, Hank Azaria, Edward Asner, Gary Anthony Williams, Kevin Michael Richardson, Seth Green

Voice actors come together to discuss their careers, their craft and some of the most beloved animated characters.




This documentary is a little difficult to write a synopsis on because instead of a story from start to finish, it is a group of people talking about something they love which also just happens to be their job.  This is a documentary that needs to just be watched and enjoyed instead of being discussed.  

There was one point where I thought that the actors in the film were being a little harsh when it comes to their fans.  Sure, I can understand that their jobs are more than just standing in front of a microphone putting on a voice, there is actual acting and performing that they do while trying to portray their character but at the same time but when their friends, family and strangers approach them claiming to be able to "do a voice", they should be a little honored that they are being imitated, not frustrated and aggravated that people think that is all there is about their jobs.  On the other hand, I completely understand where they are coming from; my job is so easy that a monkey with knowledge of computers can do it but I still get irritated when someone comes to me and tries to tell me how to do job.

I was overwhelmed by the amount of voices that I recognized but never ever knew the faces of.  I personally think that these people are amazing.  They have to connect with the script and their characters more than a live action actor does and it is amazing to see some of the antics of these guys in the studio.

To anyone looking to get into this kind of business, I think this is a good film to view.  Not only does it give a person that isn't sure what they should expect some idea of what is coming if they decide to pursue this line of work, it gives the everyday viewer a face to go along with their favorite cartoon voice.  This documentary causes the viewer to look at animated characters in a whole new light and for me, it is was a very positive and mystical kind of way.  I know that there are a few people that were in the film that I missed in the cast list and for that I apologize, I was just trying to make sure I got the most recognizable characters in the cast without overwhelming the reader.

Enjoy the stories of the people that voice your favorite cartoon characters and Don't Forget the Popcorn!


No comments:

Post a Comment