Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Pirate Fairy



Movie Title--  The Pirate Fairy

Year--  2014

Running Time-- 1 Hour and 18 Minutes

Director--  Peggy Holmes

Cast--  Mae Whitman, Christina Hendricks, Tom Hiddleston, Lucy Liu, Raven-Symone, Megan Hilty, Pamela Adlon, Angela Bartys, Jim Cummings

When Zarina, a dust keeper in Pixie Hollow, is exiled from Pixie Hollow, she returns to steal the blue pixie dust that helps the pixie dust tree multiply the pixie dust.  Tinkerbell and her band of fairies go after Zarina and have a wild adventure of their own.






Dust keeper Zarina (Christina Hendricks) isn't interested in just passing out the pixie dust to her fellow Fairies, she has questions about how it works and if different color dusts can be manufactured.  Fairy Gary, the leader of the dust keepers warns her that pixie dust should never be tampered with.  After an unfortunate event Zarina leaves, only to return the following year to steal the blue pixie dust that helps to make the pixie dust multiply.  Tinkerbell and her friends embark on a journey of a lifetime in order to get the blue pixie dust back and save Pixie Hollow.

I can't really say much more without giving anything away.  I really think that this animated feature deserves for the surprises in the movie not to be spoiled before viewing it.





So the reason I have chosen this movie is because today is my daughter's birthday party and I thought it would be cute to go along with the theme since her party is a "Pirate and Pixie Party".  That is not the only reason this movie is chosen though, this really is a super cute movie.  Having a small child in the house, I tend to have to watch the same things over and over again and I can say that it is one that I can manage to listen to a thousand times.  

This is the first of the Tinkerbell movies that  is not completely focused on Tinkerbell.  Zarina is actually the main character of this film although it does keep Tinkerbell in the main frame since the Disney Fairies brand is her franchise.  I like the inclusion of the pirates in this film, it shows that Disney is branching the Fairy franchise out some to include all of Neverland and I think that eventually we will get to see a Tinkerbell/Peter Pan origin story to show how they met and what happened to them before the events in Peter Pan took place.

There is a super cute song in the middle of the movie that the pirate sing that tends to be very catchy and believe me, it can get into your head and stay there for days.




I think that this movie is cute for a girl or a boy but I do have to say that I really love what Disney is doing with their Fairy franchise.  If you get down to the meat of it all, Tinkerbell is an engineer and as you will see in this movie, Zarina is an alchemist or in not so fancy terms, a scientist.  Disney is showing little girls that they can do anything they want to do and they are doing it in the form of Tinkerbell and her Fairy friends.  Not only are they showing little girls that these things are cool, they show little girls AND boys that they can accomplish anything when they work together.  I think that this is a good lesson for children to learn no matter what age they are.  I say that this is a good film for a family movie night.  Sit everyone down together for a little family time with this Disney animated feature and Don't Forget the Popcorn!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I have to watch this movie with my friends. It has been a very long time that I spent time with them. I am eagerly waiting for my friends to come over to my place. Last month we finished watching all the shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix and it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting the blog!

    ReplyDelete